Monday, February 2, 2009

Back to School

Today was Shane's first day back at school in a few weeks.

The phone rang mid-morning and provided a nice little jolt of adrenaline when I read and re-read the name of Shane's preschool on caller ID. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the person who called—the only thing I cared about in that moment was hearing "Shane's okay...we just want to let you know..."—everything else just sounded like the muted-trumpet vocalizations of Charlie Brown's teacher.

And luckily, I heard those words. The school was calling to say that Shane informed them that he's pretty tired and would rather just sit and read a book. Kylee and I have tried on numerous occasions to inform our kids of that exact fact, but they didn't seem to care and just kept jumping on us.

I asked about his coloring (facially, not crayonally) and they said it's fine, he just looked tired.

Whew.

We'll keep him home a couple days this week and continue to let him slowly get back into the groove of being an (over)active four year old.

Here's a snippet of our night-time-routine-ending conversation tonight:
"Dad, I'm so glad I can hear now!"
"Me, too, Shane..."
"But I'm also glad I don't have those white things."
"What white things?"
"The things that held my arms down."
"Oh...me, too. You had to wear them so you wouldn't pull out your tube. You had a tube to help you breathe."
"I have a tube in my chest?" (he looks down his shirt)
"No, you had one, but now you don't. It made you feel all better!"
"What else made me feel better?"
"Hm...medicine, doctors, nurses. A lot of friends came to see you and say hi. The best of all, God made you feel better!"

A look of satisfaction and contentment came over his face as he nodded with pursed lips. I kissed him goodnight and he reminded me not to turn on the shower because it hurts his ears (too loud in his room). Okay, I guess I'll shower in the morning.

Nigh-night, Shaney.

3 comments:

  1. "Crayonally"
    I love it.
    Oh Shaney! It sounds like he's doing great. (HUGE sigh of relief from Auntie Kel). And it sounds like he can hear way better now. Everything is probably so loud to him all the sudden!
    I am just so eternally grateful that even though his body underwent horrifying and very unstable circumstances... that he still came out of this better than he was... able to hear and hopefully able to sleep better.
    Amazing.
    I hope you and Ky are doing ok... get back into the swing.
    I know this whole thing has take a great toll on both of you.
    I want to hug you both SO tight.
    Love you
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys:
    Sounds like things are slowly returning to normal. It takes time. Thanks for still adding an occasional post- you know we all became "addicted" to logging on every few hours to see what was going on. Then we had to go cold turkey not knowing what was happening every moment in Shane's life. Kind of surreal if you think about it. Lots of surreal-ness going on for you lately. But oftentimes "no news is good news" and the fact that you don't have to post all the time is all good. Keep hanging in there. The pics of the boys all running around are priceless. Life is good...
    Love you all, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back at all the pics, writings and comments, and seeing Shane back home and being "Shane" is amazing. So grateful! So blessed...

    One more update???

    M.C.

    ReplyDelete